Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Working Mom

I've been reading articles about Marissa Mayer, CEO of Yahoo!. About how having a baby is fun and easy and work is just the same. I see how people are very antiMarissa. She's able to build her own nursery, bring her child into work, yet tell everyone that you can no longer do your work at home while they take care of they're children.

Here's one comment I found that was particularly cruel:

"Sounds like she doesn’t think of being a mother as the biggest honor and hardest job because she’s not committed to it. She’s more committed to her work. What a shame for the baby. She probably has many people or at least a full-time Nanny raising her son. She sounds completely disconnected to her child and doesn’t understand the important role of a mother. I feel very sorry for her son and extremely sorry for anyone who tries to work for her. This is not a family friendly environment. She doesn’t get it. People like her should not be parents and should not have the power to make decisions like this for so many other families and women. She’s bad news and not mother material."

The person that posted this seems to have a little better then thou, I'm better mommy then you attitude. Just stoopid.

Being a working mom is hard. Its sucks. I've been working since GL was 1 month. Why, cause that's all the time my job at the time would give me. Yea I had to pump in a bathroom, yea I had to unfortunately be away from my baby. It was a brutal heart wrenching moment. Hardest thing I have EVER done. In this world to survive and keep a baby alive is to work. To make money for the endless diapers, wipes, formula, clothes and everything else you need to work.

For my husband and I, it just seems to work out. I work 1st shift and when I get home, he goes to work. I'm so thankful for that and not have to worry about daycare or babysitters.

Yet, I've always been envious of my husband cause he can stay home with our son. He gets all the good and bad moments. In the same sentence I have the highest respect for my husband for going through all the insane, mind bending moments of a new parent. Don't get me wrong, I was right there with him when I got home. I still had to breastfeed, make purees and have a functional relationship with my husband. We've gone through some hard times that it felt like we were roommates more then anything. Thankfully we got over that.

Now with the job I have now, it's even harder. My job is as I say "professional gunslinger." I'm out on the streets on a route doing what we do. If anything happens to my family, I'm pretty much f'd. I can't just drop what I'm doing and rush to my family's side. It's a looooong process to get to that. It sucks.

SO back to Marissa Mayer. Just cause she's a multitasking she-ra and can juggle Yahoo and being a mom, why discipline the rest of the company. I've always had the mentality of "why piss off your employees?? They are making the profit for the company." If her employees did an excellent job doing their work from home, why change it? How does it benefit you to have pissed off people on your hands? Whatever, obviously she knows what she's doing if she's the CEO of freaking Yahoo.

To read the story about Marissa Mayer:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-yahoo-telecommuting-20130226,0,5913345.story





No comments:

Post a Comment